- 1/2 cup ground allspice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 garlic cloves (mild: 4; spicy:8)
- 4 Scotch Bonnet or habanero peppers (mild 2 or substitue jalapeño; spicy: 6)
- 2 bunches green onions (scallions)
- 1/8 cup fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced thin (or 1 tablespoon ground ginger)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (for moisture)
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme or 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste (1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 - 3 teaspoons black pepper)
- Remove stems from peppers, cut in half, remove seeds and white membranes, (Peppers and jerk seasoning will burn so wear plastic or latex gloves and avoid contact with eyes.)
- For milder flavor substitute jalapeño or other pepper; for more heat use extra peppers or retain some seeds.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Use as a rub or marinade.
- Keeps six months refrigerated.
This recipe was submitted by: Wally and Kathy Sorenson of Lake Preston, SD