Smoked Deer Bratwurst
- 20 lbs. Deer Meat (80%)
- 4-5 lbs. Beef Fat (20%)
- 8 oz. Excalibur W 1503 Bratwurst Seasonings (available through Dakota Grills)
- Casings - if desired
- Grind deer meat and beef fat. Mix in seasoning as per directions. Stuff into plastic 1# or 2# wild game bags and freeze.
- Thaw as needed, form into patties, and grill or smoke. Or, you may stuff into individual brat casings, wrap in freezer paper and freeze. (We prefer the patties.)
- For smoked bratwurst, fill smoker tray half-full with hickory wood chips.
- Place brat patties or brats on grill, insert probe in meat and connect other end into grill.
- Set probe temperature for 175 °F and set grill temperature for 320 °F.
- Expected cooking time for 5/8" thick patties or 1" diameter links is 40 minutes total (no preheating).
- This makes very good bratwurst either smoked or just grilled.
This recipe was submitted by: Dakota Grills, LLC of Lake Preston, SD